I first remember going to see David Blaine in London, 2003, when he went on a 44-day fast where he was sealed inside a transparent case-like box, suspended 30ft in the air (see pic below).
Similar to some other celebs, I never really thought much about his height, as his magic tricks and showmanship always took center stage, but as I was thinking about who to write about next, after 20 years he crept back into my mind, and after investigating his height it becomes obvious he is comfortably taller than the average American man!
So let's find out his height claims, compare his height to other celebs + some other interesting height-related info related to David, and find out how tall he really is!
How Tall is he Really?
After investigating David's height by finding his height claim and comparing him to some other celebs, I believe that he wakes up almost 6 feet tall, dropping to 5'11.5" (181.6 cm) throughout the majority of the day, and falling slightly under this by night time.
David is listed at 6 feet or 1.83 m on Google.
During a TED talk from 2009, David was comparing himself to the previous record holder, Tom Sietas, who was "He's six foot four" and in comparison mentioned that "I'm six foot one". (1)
Height Comparisons to Other Celebs
Let's compare David's height to some other celebs to get a better understanding of how tall he really is!
Jamiee Foxx 5'9.25" (175.9 cm)
In two seperate instances where David was performing magic for Jamiee, standing side by side, once on ABC's "David Blaine: Real or Magic" and also on "David Blaine: The Magic Way", there appears to be a consistent 2 inch difference in height between them, with David beign the taller of the pair.
So compared to Jamiee foxx, David appears 5'11.25" tall.
Jimmy Fallon 5'11.5" (181.6 cm)
When David appeared on Jimmy Fallon's "The Tonight Show" in 2016 to perform 2 magic tricks, they were standing next to each other and look extremely close in height. Upon close inspection, David is probably ever so slightly taller than Jimmy, by around 0.25 inches.
So compared to Jimmy Fallon, David appears 5'11.75" tall.
Michael Jordan 6'4.75" (194.9 cm)
When David once performed a magic card trick for Michael Jordan, the top of David's head comes to around 1 inch under Michael's eyes, and there appears to be around a 5.5 inch height difference between the pair.
Therefore compared to Michael, David appears 5'11.25" tall.
The Results - Compared to Other Celebs, David appears between 5'11.25-5'11.75" tall.
Height Compared to Well Known Magicians
Let's compare David's height to some of the most well-known magicians to see how his height stacks up!
- Penn Jillette, 6'6.5" (199.4 cm)
- Uri Geller, 6'0.5" (184.2 cm)
- David Copperfield, 5'11.75" (182.2 cm)
- Neil Patrick Harris, 5'11.5" (181.6 cm)
- David Blaine, 5'11.5" (181.6 cm)
- Hans Klok, 5'11" (180.3 cm)
- Criss Angel, 5'10" (177.8 cm)
- Derren Brown, 5'9" (175.3 cm)
- Dynamo, 5'6.5" (168.9 cm)
- Harry Houdini, 5'3.75 (161.9 cm)
- The average height of the men on this list is 5'10.6" (179.3 cm), which is 0.9 inches or 2.3 cm shorter than David!
- David's height is joint 4th on the list with Neil Patrick Harris, at 5'11.5".
- The tallest magician is Penn Jillette, at 6'6.5", and the shortest is Harry Houdini, at 5'3.75". This is a 14.75 inch height difference! David is 7.7 inches shorter than Jillette and 7.75 inches taller than Houdini!
Fearless of Heights
One of David's challenges set in Bryant Park, New York, named "Vertigo", 2000, saw him lifted onto a pillar that was 100-foot tall and 22 inches wide, and he stood on this for 35 hours with no protection from the concrete below, before ending the challenge by jumping off into a huge pile of cardboard boxes!
Also, another challenge in the River Thames bank in London, "Above The Below", 2003, saw him suspended in a transparent Plexiglas case, raised 30 feet in the air for 44 days before eventually being lowered to the ground below!
Finally, David's "Ascension" stunt in 2020 saw him floating high above Page, the Arizona desert, with a cluster of 52 helium-filled balloons. When he reached his height target of 24+ thousand feet, using a parachute he then sky-dived back to the floor!
One thing is for sure, the man is not scared of heights!
The Prestige (Conclusion)
After investigating David Blaine's height I believe that throughout the majority of the day he stands close to six feet tall, but slightly under, at 5'11.5" (181.6 cm).
Heights Associated With David Blaine
- Alizée Guinochet, Ex-Partner 2008–2014, 5'8" (172.7 cm)
- Daryl Hannah, Ex Partner (2002), 5'10" (177.8 cm)
- Lonneke Engel, Ex Partner (2006), 5'8.5" (174 cm)
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Friend, 5'11.25 (181 cm)
- Woody Harrelson, Friend, 5'9" (175.3 cm)