Elon Musk Height - How Tall is The Richest American Man?
You'd be hard-pressed to not have heard Elon Musk's name in recent years, being the founder of Tesla and recently purchasing Twitter (2022), his passion has been spread around the globe!
He is clearly over average height, and also has a large frame to go with it, and could comfortably be described as a large man.
But how tall is he really? Well, let's investigate his height by finding out how height claims, comparing him to some other celebs, and we will also investigate who he inherited his tall genetics from!
What's His Real Height
After investigating Elon Musk's height claims and comparing him to other celebs I believe that he wakes up at slightly over 6'1.75" (187.3 cm), then drops to 6'1.5" (186.7 cm) for the majority of the day, and by nighttime he is slightly under this height.
1: On Twitter in 2015 in response to a user asking "Your height?" Elon said "am def 6'2"" (1)
2: Also on Twitter in 2015, Musk claimed 6'2" again, saying: "CNN on how Falcon doors work in tight garages. Above 6 2' ft, my height :), doors work fine." (2)
3: He also claimed in an interview from 2018 that he is "Six-One and a Half"
Elon's mother, named Maye Musk was tall in her youth, and as the book 'Elon Musk : Tesla, SpaceX, and the quest for a fantastic future' (3) mentions, "Maye was gorgeous. Tall with ash-blond hair", and worked as a model "On the weekends, she did runway shows, magazine shoots".
Elon's father Errol Musk was also the same height as Elon, standing at 6'2" (188 cm's)!
Regarding his tall parents, as men are usually taller than their mothers, it may have something to do with his tall height! Also, if we use height calculator to predict Elon's adult height based on his parents' heights, it is spot on, saying he would be 6 feet 1.5 inches tall!
Elon's brother, Kimbal Musk comes in at 6'3" (190.5 cm), 1.5 inches over his predicted height and 1.5 inches taller than Elon. On the other hand, Elon's sister Tosca Musk is 5'5" tall (165.1 cm), which is 8.5 inches shorter than Elon and 3.5 inches under her predicted height!
Height Compared to Other Celebs
Let's compare Elon's height to other celebs to get a better understanding of how tall he really is!
Bill Gates 5'9.5" (176.5 cm)
When Elon Musk met Bill Gates at a conference in 2015 and they were standing next to each other and deep in conversation, Elon is comfortably taller than Bill, with a clear 4 inch difference in height between them.
So when compared to Bill, Elon appears to be 6'1.5" tall.
Jared Leto 5'9.25" (175.9 cm)
When Jared and Elon met at the 'Suicide Squad' World Premiere After Party, New York,
they were standing right next to each other and wearing similar-sized footwear. In this instance, Jared's head came up to Elon's eye level, which would be 4.5 inches height difference.
In other instances such as at Jimmy Iovine’s holiday party, 2019, the difference remains similar.
Therefore, next to Jared Leto, Elon looks to be 6'1.75" tall.
Barack Obama 6'1" (185.4 cm)
When Elon met former President Barack Obama at the Kennedy Space Center in 2010, there is footage of them walking and standing side by side. They are close in height, but on further inspection, Elon looks to be between 0.5"-1" taller than Obama.
There, next to Barack Obama, Elon appears 6'0.5"-6'0.75" tall.
The Results - when compared to other celebs, Elon appears to be between 6'1.5"-6'1.75" tall.
Height Compared to The 10 Richest People in The World
There is no doubting that Elon Musk is a rich and tall man, but how does his height stack up against the other top 9 richest billionaires in the world according to Forbes real time billionaires (April 28th 2022) (4)
- Steve Ballmer, net worth $93.0 Billion, height 6'5" (195.6 cm)
- Larry Ellison, net worth $104.6 Billion, height 6'3" (190.5 cm)
- Elon Musk, net worth $239.7 Billion, height 6'1.5" (186.7 cm)
- Bernard Arnault, net worth $157.1 Billion, height 6'0" (182.9 cm)
- Larry Page, net worth $100.8 Billion, height 5'11" (180.3 cm)
- Warren Buffett $119.9 Billion, net worth, height 5'10" (177.8 cm)
- Bill Gates, net worth $131.4 Billion, height 5'9.5" (176.5 cm)
- Sergey Brin, net worth $96.9 Billion, height 5'8" (172.7 cm)
- Jeff Bezos, net worth $167.9 Billion, height 5'7.75" (172.1 cm)
- Gautam Adani, net worth $127.9 Billion, height 5'6" (167.6 cm)
- The average height of the top 10 earners is 5'8.6" (174.3 cm), which is 4.9 inches shorter than Elon
- Elon places 3rd on the list, and is 3.5 inches shorter than the tallest, Steve Ballmer, and 7.5 inches taller than the shortest man on the list, Gautam Adani.
- The difference in height between the tallest man (Steve Ballmer) and shortest man (Gautam Adani) is a whopping 11 inches! Yet, the shorter man is worth 34.9 Billion more!
The Bottom Line
Elon Musk lies somewhere between 6'1-6'2", and for the majority of the day I believe he stands closest to 6'1.5" (186.7 cm) tall.
Heights Related to Elon Musk
Approximate REAL Height
Ex-wife (m. 2010–2012) (m. 2013–2016)
5'7.5" (171.5 cm)
Ex-wife (m. 2000–2008)
5'7" (170.2 cm)
5'6" (167.6 cm)
Executive Chairman of Amazon
5'7.75" (172.1 cm)
5'9" (175.3 cm)